Is All this Parsing theory just bullshit or what?

Since I started my work on resuscitating the JavaCC project, at least a couple of people have asked me how I can do this work if I have no theoretical background in computer science, specifically all this theory behind grammars and parsers. My response has typically amounted to saying:

Watch me!

I don't know about you, dear reader, but I don't take very kindly to being told what I can do and cannot do. Granted, a man must know his limitations, but that's for me to figure out. In any case, in this specific case, I never felt like my lack of theoretical background ever posed much of a problem in doing the work I set out to do.

However, it was always in the back of my mind to fill in the various holes in my knowledge, so I would try to read some of the theoretical treatises on parsing. Typically, I'd plow through a few paragraphs and... give up. In most cases, I couldn't quite decide whether the text was elaborating some very complex, sophisticated concepts that I could not get my head around, or just saying trivial, dead-simple things using a very pretentious, impenetrable jargon.

Some of the most horrible code in the legacy JavaCC codebase existed to warn the user of "ambiguities" in the grammar. For example, if you wrote something like:

("foo")* "foo" "bar"

you would be warned that there was an ambiguity in your grammar because the one-or-more construct starts with "foo" and so does the expansion that immediately follows it.

Now, granted, there is a problem with the above construct -- like, duh, it just doesn't work! But where is the ambiguity?

The convention is greedy matching, so the initial ("foo")* in the input will consume as many "foo"'s as it possibly can. So that means that the next Token cannot possibly be a "foo"! So, the code doesn't work, but it is hardly "ambiguous"! (Is it?)

By the same token, the following code is probably erroneous -- I mean, in the sense that it does not express what its author intended:

while (x > 0) {
 }
 if (x > 0) {
 }

The second block after (x>0) is unreachable since x cannot possibly be greater than zero in this spot. But does anybody think there is any ambiguity?

The Infamous "Dangling Else" Problem is Bullshit

I suppose somebody will just think I say this out of jealousy. After all, the dangling else problem has its own Wikipedia page while I do not.

But no, that doesn't bother me. Really. It's understandable. Plenty of people have wasted quite a bit of time obsessing about Jon Revusky, but it seems that far more time has been wasted obsessing about the "dangling else" so the dangling else deserves a Wikipedia page while Jon Revusky does not. (A man must know his limitations.)

The dangling else problem is as follows. In the code:

if (cond1) if (cond2) foo(); else bar();

there is allegedly an ambiguity. Supposedly one could think that the above means:

if (cond1) {
    if (cond2) foo(); else bar();
}

Or it might alternatively mean:

if (cond1) {
    if (cond2) foo();
} else bar();

In other words, else bar() could be associated with the first if or the second one.

Now, I suppose everybody reading this knows that the else in the line above is always parsed as being associated with the second if.

And why is that?

The principle of greedy matching, that's why!

Once we have entered the inner if statement, it will match as much input as it possibly can. So the inner if consumes the else bar().

Why does it do that? Because it can!

So if the inner if consumes the else, it's not there for the outer if to consume. Or, in other words, there is no "dangling" else!

This is just how the established conventions work. We have greedy matching. Any construct in our grammar consumes as much of the input as it can. So the fact that the else in the above dangling else (Ersatz) problem is associated with the second, inner if is just a trivial consequence of greedy matching.

Or, in other words: the dangling else "problem" is only a problem if you ignore the perfectly standard convention of greedy matching.

Consider the following arithmetic expression:

2 + 2 * 2

It is arguably just as ambiguous, since it could be interpreted as:

(2 + 2) * 2

i.e. 8, or:

2 + (2 * 2)

i.e. 6.

Oddly enough, however, there is no Wikipedia page devoted to this horrible ambiguity in basic arithmetic.

In fact, nobody thinks there is any ambiguity. Every schoolchild knows that 2 + 2 * 2 is 6. Why? Because multiplication has precedence over addition. (Duh!)

Aside from ignoring the basic principle of greedy matching the other way to talk of non-existent ambiguities is by feigning ignorance of a second basic principle:

Principle 2: The first match wins!

If two (or more) alternative rules match the input, the first one specified is the one that is applied. Suppose we have two productions:

Foobar : ("foo" | "bar") blah;

Foobaz : ("foo" | "baz") blahblah;

Elsewhere, we have:

Foobar | Foobaz

Legacy JavaCC will bitch and moan here because both the Foobar and the Foobaz productions can start with "foo". Ambiguity alert! Call Homeland security!

Well, it would be an ambiguity if Foobar and Foobaz had the exact same priority. Then, if the next token was "foo", we would not know whether to enter Foobar or Foobaz.

BUT... if two (or more) rules (or productions or expansions or whatever you want to call these things) match, then we have our basic disambiguating rule: the first match wins!

In this case, that is Foobar since it comes first. (Duh!)

Well, to cut to the chase here, I decided, on reflection that all of this stuff about "ambiguities" was just bullshit, so I simply removed about 1000 lines of unreadable code written in the last century that I was still carrying forward in 2020.

So, all those warnings are (for better or worse) no longer emitted. In my own work internally on JavaCC, I have not at all missed these so-called ambiguity checks.

Now, one point to make about all this is that, on occasion, these things are marginally useful -- but not because they are really warning about "ambiguities", but simply because they are reporting that you have dead code. For example:

if (2+2==5) {
     blahblah();
 }

is not "ambiguous". Not at all. However, the blahblah() within the block is clearly dead code and it might well be worthwhile for a compiler to warn you about something like that. (Though compilers typically do not warn of such things.) By the same token, in the following:

("foo" | "bar") blah
 |
 "foo" blahblah

the second choice will never be matched, so the second line is effectively dead code, but it is not ambiguous!

I anticipate that I may well put in some code to warn the user about cases where it is easily proven that a given expansion can never be reached, i.e. generates dead code. However, it is not currently a high priority because it really only seems to be quite marginally useful anyway.

Further Reflections

All of this stuff seems to emerge from some theory of "Context-Free Grammars". In that pure theory (that, admittedly, I still don't fully understand) I guess there really is a dangling else problem. And these various other "ambiguities" really are a problem. In theory...

However, from my perspective, they are only a purely theoretical problem. On the pragmatic level of implementation of a tool like JavaCC (or any other parser generator, as far as I can see) these things are simply not a problem. Once you understand that we have the rule that the earlier specified match has priority and matching is greedy, there is no "ambiguity" in these cases.

So, to be brutally frank, it really looks to me like all this stuff about "context-free grammars" with all this fancy terminology and notations, is basically a form of bullshit -- well, at least from my point of view, which is that of an implementer, actually trying to develop a practical, useful tool.

But the deeper problem in all of this is that it takes a lot of self-confidence, particularly for an autodidact like myself, to say what I say here: this is bullshit.

And I think that gets to a deeper problem that pervades this parser generator space. Certainly, it's a problem with JavaCC. There are a whole host of things that have been broken in JavaCC for as long as it has existed. For example:

• Nested Syntactic Lookahead not working. This is fixed in JavaCC21. See here
  • The CommonTokenAction hook does not really work in the general case because the method is invoked in the wrong place. See here for more detail on that.
  • No ability to write error-handing code that works in conjunction with LOOKAHEAD because Java code actions are always taken to return true in a lookahead routine. See here for how this is solved in JavaCC21.
  • In general, syntactic lookahead does not really work correctly in conjunction with lexical states. (It might or might not work, depending on the case, but in general, it does not work, and I'm still working on a general solution for that.)

Due to these things not really working correctly, a lot of things that should work simply do not. Well, they do not work in legacy JavaCC (and never have) but do work in JavaCC21. Yet strangely, the JavaCC user community largely tolerates all these things not working. In fact, it is not clear at all that there is any general understanding that these are bugs. It is very hard to find any mention out there of any of the above-mentioned bugs being described forthrightly as bugs.

Well, what I think happens is that when things are all wrapped up in all these layers of mumbo-jumbo, it greatly exacerbates an existing problem -- people's tendency to defer to authority (or perceived authority) and think that these things are working correctly. So, when they try to do certain things and they don't work because these things really are just fundamentally broken, they tend to blame themselves rather than the buggy tool they are using!

In other words, there is this sort of mystique around these parser generator tools, and people just lack the self confidence to identify obvious bugs for what they are. This is quite striking in Theodore Norvell's JavaCC FAQ, which is, I grant, a useful resource. However, Professor Norvell simply describes all these problems in JavaCC and never straightforwardly identifies them as bugs. To me, it is amazing how he describes how syntactic lookahead does not nest as if this is the most normal, natural thing, instead of decrying it as a horrible bug.

Closing Reflection

To be clear, I am not really quite so presumptuous as to say that all parsing theory is bullshit. That is surely too audacious a claim. I guess what I really mean is something more like this: from a pragmatic implementation viewpoint, it does look pretty useless, for the most part.

Regardless, there does seem to be the problem that this application space is surprisingly stagnant. Now, maybe the pure theory of parsing, in ivory tower academic settings, is advancing along very well, but it does not seem to be reflected in very much progress in terms of actual useful tools that practitioners can actually make use of.

As I describe here I abandoned my JavaCC work (then called FreeCC) in early 2009 and picked it up over a decade later, and much to my surprise, it did not seem like FreeCC was obsolete. If I had thought that it was, I would never have resumed work on it.

Perhaps the deeper point here is that my own goals in this space are about empowering people -- in this case, by providing a more robust, capable, usable tool. As such, I am naturally in opposition to any mystification of straightforward things, shrouding them in some veil of pretentious theoretical jargon.

Things that are really, at root, simple -- like this non-existent dangling else problem -- should be simple, and things that are more complicated... well, they should only be as complicated as they need to be.

1 thought on “Is All this Parsing theory just bullshit or what?”

1. Pingback: Is this Parsing theory just Bullshit: Part Deux – JavaCC 21

Comments are closed.